Veal Vegetable Lasagna
- 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, cut into sixths
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (26 to 28 ounces) prepared garlic and mushroom pasta sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles (not oven-ready)
- 4 cups shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 375° F. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add peppers; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet; set aside. Add spinach to same skillet; cook and stir 1 minute or until slightly wilted. Drain excess liquid. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Brown ground veal in same skillet over medium heat 7 to 8 minutes or until veal is no longer pink, breaking up into 1/2” crumbles. Pour off drippings. Season with salt. Stir in pasta sauce and tomatoes.
- Spread 2 cups sauce mixture in 13” x 9” baking dish. Place 4 noodles lengthwise and 1 noodle crosswise (break noodle to fit) in a single layer; press lightly into sauce. Layer spinach over noodles. Arrange peppers in single layer over spinach. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Spread 2 1/2 cups sauce over cheese. Cover with remaining noodles; press lightly into sauce. Spread remaining sauce over noodles.
- Cover with aluminum foil; bake in 375° oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Tent with aluminum foil; let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Cook’s Tips: One (10-ounce) package frozen leaf spinach, defrosted and drained well, may be substituted for fresh spinach. Regular mozzarella cheese may be substituted for smoked mozzarella.