Slow Cooker Veal Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of corn kernels
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Shredded cheddar & sliced green onion for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion and pepper and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add ground veal and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veal is well done.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes until the flavors are fully blended.
- Transfer mixture to a slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, until the chili has thickened.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cheese and green onion.