Veal Egg Rolls
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground veal
- 5 ounces green cabbage, shredded
- 3 ounces red onion, julienne
- 2 ounces red pepper, julienne
- 4 ounces green apple, ¼” dice
- 1 ounce cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons scallion, minced
- 2 tablespoons hot bean paste
- 2 ounces sugar
- 6 ounces low sodium soy sauce
- 8 ounces chicken stock
- Cornstarch slurry, as needed
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 20 egg roll skins, small
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Brown ground veal stirring often. Add cabbage, onions, peppers, and apples. Continue to cook. Season with cilantro, salt and pepper. Cool and reserve.
- For sauce, heat the oil in a medium sauce pan. Add the ginger, garlic and scallions and sweat until fragrant.
- Add the bean paste and sugar. Cook for two minutes on low heat.
- Add the soy sauce and chicken stock. Simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes skimming as necessary.
- Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch slurry. Finish with vinegar and sesame oil. Adjust seasoning and cool.
- Mix the cooked veal, vegetables and sauce and reserve.
- Lay out 20 egg roll wrappers on a clean work table. Divide the filling in the center of each wrapper. Fold according to package directions.
- Fry at 375° until golden brown and hot throughout.