Mediterranean Grilled Veal Salad
- 1 large orange (12 oz.)
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 12 ounces veal cutlets, pounded to 1/4” to 1/8” thick
- 1 bulb fennel (7 oz.), trimmed, halved and cored
- 1/2 small red onion (1 1/2 oz.), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked farro
- 2 cups packed baby arugula (about 3 oz.)
- 1 head radicchio (4 oz.), cored and torn (about 2 cups packed)
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 ounce chunk of Parmesan cheese
- From orange, grate enough zest to measure ½ tablespoon. Stir zest into salad dressing. Use a knife to remove skin and pith from orange. Use knife to cut between the fruit and the membrane to release each orange section. Squeeze membrane to extract juice to use in dressing.
- Whisk orange juice, mustard and salad dressing together. Remove 1/4 cup dressing to resealable food storage bag. Add veal cutlets to dressing in bag. Reseal bag and turn several times until veal is coated with dressing; set aside.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill or heat grill pan on top of stove over medium-high heat. Remove veal cutlets from dressing; discard dressing. Grill veal cutlets 5 to 6 minutes, turning once. Remove cutlets. Place on cutting board and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Thinly slice fennel halves and place in bowl.
- Add red onion, farro, arugula and radicchio; toss. Add veal, orange sections, reserved salad dressing and nuts.
- Draw blade of vegetable peeler across the surface of cheese to make thin ribbons. Toss to coat with dressing. To serve, divide salad among 4 bowls.
Source: Funded by the Beef Checkoff