Juicy Grilled American Lamb Burgers with Caramelized Onion, Fennel & Lemon Relish
- 2 pounds ground American Lamb
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 dinner rolls, or 4 large buns
- Mayonnaise, as needed
- Arugula leaves, as needed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into 1/4” slices
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- Zest of 2 lemons (pith removed, the rest finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch red chile flakes
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush onion and fennel slices with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat until onion and fennel caramelize and soften, showing grill marks.
- Reduce heat; continue cooking onion and fennel until soft. Remove; cool then finely chop. In a bowl, add grilled onion and fennel, rosemary, lemon zest, lemon, honey, and chile flakes. Season to taste.
- Gently form the lamb into 8 burgers; make sure meat is not compressed. Season generously with salt and pepper; grill to desired doneness.
- Remove some of the bread from the rolls to make a better bread-to-burger ratio. Grill rolls briefly; cool. Spread both sides of rolls with mayonnaise, spoon on some of the onion relish, some arugula leaves and the cooked lamb burger.
Source: American Lamb Board