Lamb Kofta Flatbread
15 - 20 mins.
• 2 pounds ground lamb
• 1 egg
• 1 onion, minced finely
• 2 slices of bread
• 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped finely
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 2 teaspoons black pepper
• 2 teaspoons cumin
• 2 teaspoons garam masala
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 6 large flatbreads
• Cherry tomatoes
• Feta cheese
• 1/2 a large red onion, quick-pickled (thinly sliced red onions tossed in 1/2 cup vinegar or lemon juice)
• 1 medium cucumber, peeled and small diced • 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup whole milk yogurt • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• Juice of 1/2 a lemon, to taste • Cayenne pepper, to taste
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Soak wooden skewers in water.
- Prepare Tzatziki Sauce: combine ingredients and adjust seasoning to preferred taste. Set aside.
- Tear up the bread and pulse in a blender until small pieces. Alternatively chop finely. Combine all remaining ingredients with bread and mix with hands thoroughly. To grill, form into six kabobs around wooden skewers. Or form mixture into meatballs and fry.
- Grill kabobs or fry meatballs until cooked through and little to no pink remains. They will continue cooking once removed from heat for a few minutes.
- Grill flatbreads, flipping once until toasted well.
- To serve, cut up kabobs into bite-sized pieces, or cut meatballs in half and top flatbreads with tzatziki, lamb, cherry tomatoes, arugula, red onions and feta cheese. Finish with fresh black pepper.
Source: American Lamb Board & The Adventure Bite