Grilled Lamb Burgers with Green Onions in Pita
- 2 pounds ground American Lamb
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 medium pita breads, whole wheat or regular, cut into halves
- Olive oil for brushing
- 2 cups finely chopped or shredded cucumber
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried mint
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl combine lamb, green onions, cumin, cinnamon, lemon juice and salt.
- Preheat grill or grill pan. Stuff the pita bread halves with the lamb mixture, spreading and filling to edges.
- Brush the pita on each side with olive oil and grill until the filling is cooked through and the pita brown and crispy, 5-7 minutes per side. Let cool 5 minutes.
- To prepare Cucumber Yogurt Sauce, drain cucumber of any liquid and combine with the yogurt, mint, garlic, salt, and pepper. Serve chilled with pitas.
Source: American Lamb Board