- 1 1/2 pounds ground American Lamb
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed, toasted fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 6 cups plain pita chips
- 1 cup diced ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup crumbled plain feta
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 mint sprigs
- In a large skillet, cook lamb over medium-high heat until almost completely browned, approximately 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in onions, garlic, oregano, paprika, fennel and pepper; continue to cook 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are almost golden. Adjust seasoning with salt. Remove from heat; keep warm until ready to serve.
- For each serving, place 1 1/2 cups warmed pita chips in a wide soup plate; top with 1 cup lamb-onion mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup tomatoes, 2 tablespoons scallions, 2 tablespoons feta and 2 tablespoons olives. Top with 2 tablespoons yogurt and garnish with a sprig of mint. Serve hot.
Source: American Lamb Board