Veal & Vegetable Soup
1 1/4 hrs.
1 1/4 hrs.
- 2 pounds veal for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram leaves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (approx. 1-3/4 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- In Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until hot. Add veal and garlic, 1/2 at a time, and brown evenly, stirring occasionally; add remaining oil as needed. Return all veal to pan; season with salt.
- Add water, broth, marjoram, and pepper to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover tightly and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and corn; continue simmering, covered, 15 minutes or until veal and vegetables are tender. Add zucchini; simmer, covered, 5 minutes more, or until zucchini is crisp-tender.