Veal & Mushroom Burger with Balsamic Onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions (5 oz. each), cut lengthwise in half then crosswise into ¼” thick slices
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pound ground veal
- 4 egg twist rolls, split
- 4 Boston lettuce leaves
- 4 slices thinly sliced provolone cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil In 10” non-stick skillet over medium heat, add onions and cook 7 to 8 minutes or until browned and almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender; set aside in bowl.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil; add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, thyme and lemon zest and cook 2 minutes or until mushrooms are tender; cool.
- In bowl, mix ground veal, mushroom mixture and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Shape into four ¾” thick patties.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill or use a grill pan on top of stove over medium heat. Place rolls, cut-side down on grill; lightly toast. Remove rolls.
- Grill burgers 10 to 14 minutes, turning once or until internal temperature of 160° F.
- Place roll bottoms on serving platter. Top each bottom with lettuce leaf. Place burger on top of lettuce. Top each burger with sliced cheese, some balsamic onions and roll tops.
Source: Funded by the Beef Checkoff