Spicy Chipotle Lamb Tacos with Cabbage, Radish & Pineapple Slaw
- 1 1/2 pounds ground American lamb
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 3 tablespoons sauce
- 4 cups finely shredded green cabbage, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes then drained
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Warm corn or flour tortillas, for serving
- Topping Options: chopped avocado, salsa verde, crema (Mexican sour cream) or sour cream, crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese, pickled jalapeños, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges
- Heat a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, over high heat. Add the lamb, yellow onion, garlic, oregano, and 1 teaspoon of salt and break up the lamb into small pieces. Cook until the liquid evaporates and the lamb is nicely browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Strain off excess fat and return the pan to medium-low heat.
- Add 1/3 cup water, the chipotle chiles, and adobo sauce and stir to combine, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the sauce clings to the lamb, 2 to 4 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Meanwhile, toss the cabbage, radishes, pineapple, green onions, and cilantro in a large bowl. Add the lime juice, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and toss to combine well. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Spoon the meat into warm tortillas and top each with a generous serving of slaw. Serve with other topping options as desired.
Source: American Lamb Board