Mediterranean Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- 3 pounds ground Australian lamb
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic, roasted or granulated
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil for cooking
- Slice of cheese, if desired
- 8 Kaiser or hamburger rolls
- Lettuce leaves
- Chopped tomato, onion, cucumber, and fresh oregano
- 1 pint natural Greek-style yogurt
- 2 cucumbers, de-seeded and grated
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the ground Australian lamb, parsley, garlic, oregano, and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Divide mixture into 8 meal-size burgers.
- Preheat grill or pan, brush with oil and season with salt. Cook the burgers over medium to high heat for 6-7 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°. If cheese is desired, add it at the end of cooking to melt slightly.
- Mix the grated cucumber and salt. Place in a sieve for 20 minutes to drain liquid. Squeeze out remaining liquid, then add to other Tzatziki ingredients and mix well.
- Spread tzatziki on the rolls then add a lettuce leaf and the burger. Top burger with chopped vegetables, if desired.
Source: Meat & Livestock Australia