Meatloaf with Wheat Germ
1 pound ground veal
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried green pepper
1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
1/3 cup grated carrots
1/3 cup green onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 cups carrots, cut in wedges, ¼” thick
1 garlic clove
1 1/4 cups celery, cut in wedges, ¼” thick
1 1/4 cups onions, cut in ½” cubes
28 ounces diced tomatoes without added salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a bowl, combine the ground veal, salt, green pepper, and celery. Mix well. Add the other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Shape the meatloaf and put in small loaf pan. Set aside in the refrigerator while you prepare the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- To prepare the jardinière sauce, sauté the carrots and garlic in oil in a cast iron pan until they start to change color.
- Add the celery and onions and cook a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes and thyme and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat, simmer uncovered to absorb the excess liquid, and then cover and simmer again to thicken the sauce. The cooking time will be about one hour for vegetables al dente(crunchy). Remove the garlic before serving.
- In the meantime, cook the meatloaf in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 174°F. Calculate approximately 30 minutes per inch of thickness.
- Ten minutes before the end of cooking, cover veal meatloaf lightly with the tomato pieces from the jardinière sauce and return to the oven.
- Unmold and slice the meatloaf.
- Place the meatloaf slices with jardinière sauce in plates. Serve with a green salad.