Hearty Italian-Style Veal Soup
- 1/2 lb. ground veal
- 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 4 cups beef stock or veal stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 oz. diced Italian tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 potato, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup pasta shells
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- Gruyére or cheddar cheese for garnish
- Pesto for garnish
- In a bowl, combine the veal, bread crumbs and egg. Shape into small meatballs, 3/4″ in diameter.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Fry the meatballs for about 5 minutes, or until well browned on all sides.
- Add the onion, beef stock or veal stock, tomato paste, tomatoes with their liquid, diced potatoes, carrots, bay leaves, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the pasta and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour into soup bowls and garnish with grated cheese and a spoonful of pesto.