Veal Medallions with Montreal-Style Shallot Marinade
- 4 veal medallions, 2.5 ounces each and 1” thick
- 1 cup wine (white wine: fruity and sharp or red wine: aromatic and smooth)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons steak spices
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Pepper to taste
- Place the veal medallions on a plate. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over the veal. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove medallions from marinade and drain.
- Over high heat, make grill marks on both sides of the meat and finish cooking on the top grill at reduced temperature. For light pink veal, remove the steak from the barbecue when the volume of the meat starts to shrink, juices appear on both sides and the internal temperature reaches 150°. Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Source: MilkFedVeal.com and Alain Fortier, chef and consultant, Quebec Milk-fed Veal