Lamb Loin with Cilantro, Ginger and Tomato Salsa
- 1 Catelli Brothers American lamb loin, (avg. 1 1/2 pounds) trimmed of surface fat and silver skin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 small red onions, diced
- 2 large English cucumbers, diced
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, shredded
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- In bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, cucumber, chickpeas, oil, vinegar, cilantro, and ginger root. Add cumin, red pepper flakes, garlic, shallot, and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate salsa until ready to serve.
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Grill to lightly char the exterior on all sides.
- Place the lamb in a roasting pan and roast at 400° for about 14 to 15 minutes or to desired degree of doneness: 145° for medium-rare, 160° for medium, and 170° for well. Remove the lamb, place it on a cutting board, cover and let it rest for 5 minutes. Internal temperature will rise approximately 5 to 10 degrees upon standing.
- Slice loin into six medallions, place on a platter, and top with the salsa.
Source: American Lamb Board