Lamb Kefta Meatloaf with Special Yogurt & Israeli Salad
- 1 ½ pounds ground lamb
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint
- ½ lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 ½ cups Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper lightly coated with cooking spray or oil.
- Heat one tablespoon oil In a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic until softened and translucent, approximately 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool. Meanwhile, combine egg, bread crumbs, and milk in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently combine ground lamb with the onion mixture, bread crumb mixture, mint, lemon zest, and spices until just fully combined. Spread mixture on the baking sheet and form into a log approximately 8” x 4”.
- Brush remaining two tablespoons of oil on meatloaf and cook for 35 minutes. Remove from oven, raise temperature to 500°F, and once temperature is reached, continue to cook meatloaf for an additional 5 to10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Slice meatloaf and serve with spiced yogurt and Israeli salad.
- To prepare spiced yogurt, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and season with kosher salt. Let sit for 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld (or make ahead and refrigerate). Season again with salt and lemon juice if needed before serving.
- To prepare salad, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Source: American Lamb Board