- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 pound ground Catelli Fresh American Lamb
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish olives, stuffed with pimento
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 dashes red pepper sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 recipes pastry for double crust pie, rolled 1/16” thick
- In large frying pan, heat oil. Cook onion, garlic and pine nuts for 3 to 5 minutes; stirring occasionally. Add lamb, finely crumble and cook until lamb is no longer pink. Drain well. Add olives, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper sauce; set aside.
- In small bowl, make egg wash by beating together egg and water; set aside.
- Using cookie cutter, cut 4” rounds out of pastry. Fill each with tablespoon of filling. Fold over to make half moon; crimp edges to seal. Cut three 1” slits in top of pastry.
- Brush with egg wash. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake in 375° oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
Source: American Lamb Board