Grilled Rack of Lamb, Summer Vegetable Salad & Charred Tomato Vinaigrette
- 2 Catelli Fresh American Lamb racks, frenched
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups arugula leaves
Skordalia (makes about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon almonds
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 small potato, boiled with skin, chopped (use warm)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sparkling water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2” thick strips
- 1 ear of corn, husk removed
- 1 small eggplant, sliced 1/2” thick
- 1 small red onion, sliced 1/2” thick
- 8 leaves arugula
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Charred Tomato Vinaigrette (makes about 1 1/2 cups)
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In food processor, grind almonds until very fine. Add garlic, potato, salt, and pepper and process until smooth. Add vinegar and sparkling water and process until consistency of creamy mashed potatoes. Tip: Can be prepared day ahead. Bring to room temperature the day of use.
- Brush vegetables with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill peppers, zucchini, corn, eggplant, and onion over medium-hot coals. Turn and grill on both sides.
- Peel and seed peppers, cut into 1" pieces. Cut other vegetables into 2" pieces. Cut corn off cob. Place all grilled vegetables and arugula in bowl. Combine vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, basil, salt, and pepper. Pour over vegetables and gently toss. Toss tomatoes with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Cook on grill or in hot oven for 5 to 6 minutes. Cool, peel, remove seeds and finely chop, drain.
- To make Tomato Vinaigrette, in a medium bowl combine tomatoes, vinegars, garlic, sugar, cumin, salt, and pepper. Whisk in oil until well blended. Brush racks with oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Grill racks meat-side down, over medium-hot coals. Cook for 8 minutes, turn racks. Cook 8 additional minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Use meat thermometer to test lamb, 145° for medium-rare, 160° for medium or 170° for well. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Internal temperature will rise approximately 10°. Cut each rack between bones into chops.
To assemble: In the center of 8 plates, place 1/2 cup vegetable salad. Place 1 chop on top. Put a heaping spoonful of Skordalia on chop and lean a second chop against the first. Generously drizzle plate with Tomato Vinaigrette and top with arugula leaves.
Source: American Lamb Board