Grilled Butterflied Lamb Leg with Mint-Pistachio Pesto
- 3 pounds unseasoned butterflied lamb leg
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shelled, toasted pistachios (toasted in a pan for 8-10 minutes in a 350° oven)
- 1 cup fresh mint (leaves only)
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch red chile flakes
- Place lamb leg open on a cutting board, trim off visible fat and season generously with salt and pepper. Allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Combine pistachios, mint, parsley, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, sea salt, pepper, and chile flakes in a food processor and blend until chunky.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill the lamb leg to medium-rare (remove from heat when thermometer reads 130°-135°), or to desired doneness.
- Lightly cover the meat and allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice meat across the grain into thin slices and serve with pesto.
Source: American Lamb Board