Classic Veal Osso Buco
2 1/2 hrs.
2 1/2 hrs.
- 3 pounds veal cross cut shanks, cut 1 1/2" thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Hot cooked risotto, polenta, noodles, or rice (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown veal shanks, 1/3 at a time, turning occasionally and adding remaining 1 tablespoon oil as needed. Remove shanks from pan; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add onion, carrot and celery to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add wine; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Continue to cook 5 to 8 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes and juice.
- Return shanks to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until shanks are fork-tender.
- Remove shanks; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Bring cooking liquid to a boil and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until reduced to 2 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle shanks with parsley. Serve with sauce over risotto, if desired.