American Lamb Tikka Masala
1 hr. - overnight
1 hr. - overnight
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless American lamb leg sirloin or shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1” chunks
- 2 tablespoons garam masala, divided
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 cups cooked jasmine or basmati rice and/or naan bread
- Cilantro or mint for serving
- Combine 1 tablespoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon cumin, coriander, and pepper in a one-gallon plastic bag. Toss the spices around to combine. Add lamb and shake to coat. Add yogurt, seal bag, and massage meat to coat. Transfer bag to refrigerator and marinate for 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Heat oil in a 12” sauté pan over medium. Add onion and remaining teaspoon of salt and cook until softened and starting to brown, 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, serrano chile, and ginger; cook, stirring frequently until onions are golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in remaining tablespoon garam masala, remaining teaspoon of cumin, and cardamom; cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes with juices, crushing them with your hands as you add them (or use your kitchen shears to cut them in the can). Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, until thickened and deepened in color, 15–20 minutes. Add coconut milk and simmer until thickened, 5–7 minutes.
- Heat oven to broil (high) with rack set in upper middle position. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack inside sheet.
- Arrange lamb on rack in a single layer (don’t scrape marinade off). Broil lamb until starting to char, 10–12 minutes.
- Add lamb to sauce, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve with rice, cilantro, and naan if desired.
Source: Zestful Kitchen & The American Lamb Board