Slow Cooker Harissa American Lamb Tacos
- 4 pounds American lamb leg, shanks or sirloin
- 6 tablespoons harissa paste divided (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Fresh chopped cilantro for serving, optional
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate arils
- 3 oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 large avocados
- 1 large lime, plus more for serving
- 1 large jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Rub the entire surface of the lamb with 2 tablespoons harissa paste.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb to the skillet and brown on all sides until golden brown, approximately 3-5 minutes on each side. Transfer the lamb to the slow cooker and brush with 2 more tablespoons harissa paste.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the sliced onion. Sauté the onions in the lamb grease until they just start to soften, approximately 3 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add the sautéed onions and the chicken broth to the slow cooker and cook on high for 5 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- Once the lamb has finished cooking, transfer to a clean plate to cool. Scoop out the cooked onions into a large, clean bowl and set aside. Reserve half the cooking juices leftover in the slow cooker and mix with the final two tablespoons harissa paste*.
- Shred the lamb using two forks and transfer to the bowl with the cooked onions. Pour the broth and harissa mixture over the shredded lamb and gently stir to combine. Top with chopped cilantro and green onion, if desired. Set aside.
- To prepare Pomegranate Salsa, combine the red onion, green onion, cilantro, pomegranate arils, orange, and fresh lime juice in a medium bowl. Gently toss to combine.
- Just before serving, add the peeled and pitted avocado to a bowl. Use a fork to smash the avocado until creamy, but not quite smooth. Stir in the juice from one lime and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Build each taco by filling a tortilla with a generous layer of avocado. Top each with a scoop of shredded harissa lamb, pomegranate salsa, and jicama sticks.
Source: The Forked Spoon & The American Lamb Board