American Lamb Gyros with Tzatziki
- 3 pounds boneless American Lamb leg, butterflied
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated on large holes of grater
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 authentic Greek pitas (not pocket bread)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- Lay lamb leg open on a cutting board. Trim off visible fat. Season lamb generously with salt and pepper; allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, mint, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to make Tzatziki sauce. Keep cold until serving.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill lamb leg to medium-rare (remove from heat when thermometer registers between 130° and 135°, or to desired doneness). Rest lamb, lightly covered, for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Slice lamb across the grain into thin slices. Place some lamb slices in the middle of each pita; top with tomatoes, cucumber slices, mint leaves, and Tzatziki sauce; fold pita like a taco.
Source: American Lamb Board