Crispy Veal & Walnut Salad
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, minced
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 pound veal cutlets, about 4 ounces each
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoons paprika
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup canola oil (or as needed for frying)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, cut bite size
- ⅓ cup walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
- 1 apple, diced (granny or red delicious)
- ⅓ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 - 5 red onions, sliced
- 4 lemon wedges
- Prepare dressing by whisking vinegar, lemon, honey, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Slowly add oil while whisking constantly. Set aside.
- Pound cutlets thin and blot dry. Season with salt, pepper and paprika, dredge in flour, then into egg, then bread crumbs. Make sure to press panko bread crumbs into veal.
- Heat oil in medium sauté pan to about 350° over medium heat (until shimmering but not smoking). Working in batches, add the breaded veal to the hot oil and pan fry on the first side for about two minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Turn once and finish pan frying on the second side, about two minutes more or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°. Drain briefly on absorbent paper towels and use immediately or keep warm.
- While veal is draining, mix the lettuce, walnuts, apples, blue cheese, and onions. Add dressing as needed and toss gently.
- Serve one veal cutlet over 1½ cups of salad. Garnish with lemon wedges.