Veal Meatballs with Pineapple
- 1 lb. ground veal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 onion cut into chunks
- 2 carrots cut in wedges, 1/4” thick
- 1/4 pineapple cut into medium-size pieces or 1 small can of pineapple without the juice
- 2 stalks celery, cut in wedges 1/2” thick
- 1 head broccoli, separated into florets
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice or tropical fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons Grenadine syrup or 2 teaspoons turmeric for color
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup veal stock or low-salt chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce or 1 pinch chili pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Season the ground milk-fed veal with salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Form 33 meatballs, about 1” each.
- Place the milk-fed veal meatballs on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the garlic and onion. Then add (1 ingredient at a time stirring for a few minutes between each addition) the carrots, pineapple, celery, and broccoli.
- Deglaze the skillet with the juice, add the grenadine syrup and stir well.
- Dilute the cornstarch in the veal stock and pour into the skillet. Add the Sriracha sauce and season to taste.
- Bring to a boil and add the veal meatballs. Let simmer a few minutes and serve with couscous or pasta.
Source: MilkFedVeal.com and Alain Fortier, chef and consultant, Quebec Milk-fed Veal