Veal Filet Stuffed with Leeks, Pine Nuts & Bacon
- 1 veal filet, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 8 slices of precooked bacon cut in pieces
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 3/4 cup demi-glace sauce
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup 15% cooking cream
- 2 3/4 oz. brie, with the crust removed and diced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In an oven-proof pan, melt half of the butter on medium. Cook the leek for 3 to 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add the bacon, pine nuts and garlic,salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute while stirring. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Cut the veal filet in half lengthwise without cutting it completely. Stuff with the leek mix. Tie the filet. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the same pan, heat olive oil on medium. Brown the filet on all sides for 1 minute. Continue cooking in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 147°F on a cooking thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cutting board. Loosely cover with foil. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter on medium in the same pan. Cook the shallots for 1 minute.
- Add the demi-glace sauce, mustard and cream. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium low for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the brie. Stir until melted. Serve with the veal filet.