Italian Veal & Pepper Stew
1 1/4 hrs.
1 1/4 hrs.
- 1 1/2 pounds veal for stew, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- Hot cooked Carolina or Mahatma long grain brown rice
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine flour, salt and pepper. Lightly coat veal with seasoned flour; reserve remaining flour. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of veal; remove from Dutch oven. Brown remaining veal and remove.
- Stir tomatoes, broth, garlic, and reserved flour mixture into Dutch oven. Return veal to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 45 minutes. Add bell peppers; continue cooking, covered, 30 minutes or until veal and peppers are tender.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. For best results, substitute low-sodium chicken broth for the water. Serve stew over rice; sprinkle with cheese, as desired.