Coconut Curried Veal & Vegetable Stew
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound veal for stew, cut into ½” pieces
- 1 carrot (3 oz.), cut into ½” slices
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) lite coconut milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 zucchini (7 oz.), cut lengthwise in half then crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (4 oz.)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Cooked jasmine rice, if desired
- Heat olive oil in 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add veal and cook in batches, until well browned on all sides, removing pieces to plate as they brown and adding more oil if needed.
- In drippings remaining in Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook carrot, garlic and ginger 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return veal to Dutch oven; add coconut milk, broth, curry powder, cumin and salt; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in chick peas, zucchini and cauliflower; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until veal and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle stew with cilantro. If desired, serve stew with jasmine rice.
Source: Funded by the Beef Checkoff