Warm Crispy Veal Sweetbreads Salad
- 8 oz. veal sweetbreads
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- Lemon for water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons cedar or white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup grated red cabbage
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Rinse the veal sweetbreads quickly in cold water and drain well.
- Separate the lobes, taking care to remove the connective and fatty tissue surrounding the veal sweetbreads, and place them in cold lemon water.
- Drain the sweetbreads well, then dredge them in the flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Then dredge in bread crumbs to coat.
- Heat the oil and fry the sweetbreads until the breading is golden. The crispy veal sweetbreads can be prepared in advance and heated in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes.
- Mix all the salad dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Arrange the crispy veal sweetbreads on 4 plates, then add the baby spinach, cabbage and onion on top. Spoon the salad dressing over the salad and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.