Veal Sweetbreads “Mollejas” with Salsa Mexicana
- 1 pound veal sweetbreads
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 teaspoon garlic, granulated or powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 6 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt, as needed
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Cover veal sweetbreads in cold water and simmer for about 20 minutes until the sweetbreads cook and they look white and puffy. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While sweetbreads cook combine rub ingredients and set aside.
- Also make Salsa Mexicana by mixing all ingredients and set aside.
- Once sweetbreads have cooled, peel off the thin membrane on the top. Cover sweetbreads generously with rub mixture.
- Preheat grill to 350°F. When ready, grill sweetbreads for about 10 minutes, rotating every few minutes. Butterfly and finish on high heat for another 5 minutes to char and bring out the flavor.
- Slice sweetbreads and serve with tortillas and Salsa Mexicana. Garnish with lime.
Source: Catelli Brothers