Veal Rosettes with Cheese & Spinach
- 3/4 pound veal cutlets
- 3/4 cup cheese spread with herb, pepper or vegetable flavorings at room
- temperature (doesn’t melt during cooking) or Swiss or Emmental cheese
- 1/2 bag spinach, washed and stemmed
- Butter in sufficient quantity
- 1 1/4 cup demi-glace sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spread veal cutlets over a work space so that the edges are overlapping. Cover the cutlets with a thin layer of cheese and 4 rows of spinach.
- Roll cutlets while ensuring that everything stays in place; this can be done with a sushi or plastic wrap. Tie with string starting in the middle and twist the string in such a way as to form a cylinder.
- Slice meat in between strings to produce the rosettes. To make this easier, you can firm up the piece of meat by placing it in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- In a frying pan, melt butter at high heat and cook the rosettes (as soon as juice appears, turn the rosettes and repeat procedure, then remove; the meat will be pink.)
- Deglaze frying pan with demi-glace sauce and season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Put sauce through a cheese cloth before serving.
- Remove strings, coat the bottom of plates with sauce and serve.