Veal Osso Buco
- 4 veal shanks, osso buco-style
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (20 oz.) diced tomatoes
- Flour for dusting shanks
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil in sufficient quantity to cover the base of a large pan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon concentrated veal stock
- 1½ cups water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cube two stalks of celery, two large carrots, two onions and four garlic cloves.
- In a large, thick and deep frying pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and cook the onions until tender and translucent.
- Add garlic, celery and carrots; continue cooking for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and continue cooking for 2 or 3 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Dust the veal shanks with flour previously seasoned with salt and pepper.
- In a large, thick, deep skillet, add canola oil to cover the bottom and melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Brown the meat on both sides and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, dissolve one tablespoon of concentrated veal stock in 1½ cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture and tomato sauce to an ovenproof dish, then add the veal shanks and veal stock.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 350°F. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake 2 hours longer or until meat is tender.