Veal Osso Buco
- 4 to 6 veal shanks
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 3/4 cup veal stock
- 3/4 cup demi-glaze sauce
- 1/4 cup lively, fruit-flavored white wine
- 1/8 cup tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°.
- Gently pat veal shanks dry with a paper towel. Dredge shanks in flour and shake off any excess flour.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Brown milk-fed veal shanks for 5 minutes or until golden on all sides. Add onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Cook while stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add veal stock, demi-glaze sauce, white wine, and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook in the oven at 200° for about 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160 to 165° depending on the thickness of the shanks.
- Garnish with the lemon zest and serve with rice and snow peas.
Source: MilkFedVeal.com and Alain Fortier, chef and consultant, Quebec Milk-fed Veal