Veal & Mushroom Meatballs
1 1/2 hrs.
1 1/2 hrs.
- 10 ounces ground veal
- 10 ounces mushrooms, chopped fine
- 3 ounces bread crumbs
- 3 ounces milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, mashed
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, canned
- 1/4 cup tomato purée
- 3 basil leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ teaspoons chopped Italian parsley
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the veal, chopped mushrooms, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper and chopped parsley.
- Form the meat mixture into 1.5 oz. meatballs. Place the meatballs onto a sheet pan that has been lightly coated with oil.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven for 30 minutes or until the meatballs have browned and reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- For the sauce, in a medium-sized saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat.
- Add the plum tomatoes, tomato purée, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf; transfer the mixture to a food processor and coarsely blend.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the tomato sauce and braise them for 45-60 minutes. Serve with your favorite pasta.
Source: Funded by the Beef Checkoff