1 3/4 hrs.
1 3/4 hrs.
- 5 1/2 pounds of veal cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ pound of quartered mushrooms
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup veal or chicken broth
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons each of dried basil, thyme
- Parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C)
- Sprinkle pieces of veal with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pan that can go into oven.
- Brown pieces of veal over moderate heat, turning pieces so they brown evenly. When first batch is brown, remove and reserve. Add second batch and continue until brown. Add more oil if needed. Transfer veal to a dish and set aside.
- Add more olive oil as needed to pan and brown mushrooms quickly, remove and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic and carrots over moderate heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Return veal to the pan and add butter. Stir over low heat until butter melts.