- 1 blade roast, 2.2 pounds, 1 1/2” thick
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Oil or butter in sufficient quantity
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon concentrated veal stock
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spices
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Baguette bread
- Rings of red onions
- Sweet pepper strips
- Set the slow cooker on high.
- In a frying pan, heat oil or butter.
- When the butter stops sizzling or the oil begins to separate, brown the veal blade roast on the first side, then salt and pepper. When juices rise to the surface, turn the meat over and salt and pepper. When juices rise to the surface once again, remove the meat and place in the slow cooker.
- In the same frying pan, add a bit of butter or oil, and lightly brown the onions and garlic.
- Deglaze the frying pan with water, add concentrated veal stock and dissolve by stirring with a whisk.
- Add crushed tomatoes, Cajun spices, brown sugar and lemon juice and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 4 to 6 hours or until the meat gives away easily with pressure or the internal temperature reaches 195°F.
- At the end of cooking, remove the roast from the slow cooker and pull the meat away with a fork.
- Spread the meat and some sauce on the baguette. Top with onions, sweet peppers and arugula.
- Cut baguette into four equal parts and serve.