Turkish American Lamb Wraps
- 1 pound ground American lamb
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 4 large tortillas or wraps, heated until pliable
- Greek yogurt
- 1 cup diced tomatoes or sliced radishes
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, or substitute mint and scallions combination
- 1-2 cups watercress, arugula or spinach
- To prepare filling, heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add lamb and onion. Using a metal spatula break lamb apart into little bits, and cook for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and salt and continue browning until the lamb gets deep
lybrown and releases its moisture and fat, about 5 more minutes. Drain.
- Add the cumin seeds, sumac, cinnamon, and chili flakes. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and water, incorporating it into the lamb. Stir in the chopped mint.
- Brush 4 large wraps with yogurt, top with the lamb filling. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, parsley, mint and greens. Roll up and cut in half.
Source: Feasting at Home & The American Lamb Board