“The Country Cat’s” Red Wine-Braised Lamb Shank
2 1/2 hrs.
2 1/2 hrs.
- 4 bone-in American lamb shanks (2-1/2 to 5 pounds)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 stems rosemary, chopped
- 1 quart chicken or beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Liberally salt and pepper the lamb shanks; set aside.
- In a bowl, mix onion, fennel, garlic and rosemary to create the marinade. In a separate large bowl, place half of the marinade on the bottom, lay shanks on top, then pack the remaining marinade over the meat. Refrigerate for 24 hours uncovered.
- In a heavy-bottomed stockpot or large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat; allow butter to melt. Remove marinade from lamb and set aside.
- Add lamb to the pot; brown on all sides. Once browned, remove lamb from the pan. Add marinade vegetables; caramelize over medium to high heat. Deglaze the pan with wine; reduce by one-half.
- Add stock; bring to a simmer. Put lamb back in the pan; cover and cook at 350°F for 2-1/2 hours or until fork tender.
Source: American Lamb Board and Executive Chef/Owner Adam Sappington, The Country Cat Dinner House and Bar, Portland