Slow Cooker Lamb Ragu with Rigatoni
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder roast, about 3 pounds, halved (see note)
- 28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves (or 3 teaspoons dried)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried red chile flakes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pound dried rigatoni
- Parmesan cheese, for grating
- In a 5-6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes and juices, wine, onion, tomato paste, oregano, garlic, and chile flakes. Season the roast with the salt and nestle it in the tomato mixture. Cover and cook until the meat is very tender and can easily be pulled apart, about 6 hours on high or 9-10 hours on low.
- Shred the meat with 2 forks and stir it into the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt as needed. Add enough vinegar to brighten the flavor.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Return the pasta to the same pot and add enough of the sauce to coat the noodles, stirring over medium-low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Serve the pasta in warm bowls, with sauce and Parmesan cheese on top of each serving, as desired.
Source: American Lamb Board