Moroccan Lamb Chops with Chickpea-Tomato Tagine
- 4 shoulder or blade lamb chops, about 3/4" thick, 8 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 ounces)
- 3/4 cup drained and rinsed canned chickpeas
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine cinnamon, cumin and ginger; rub evenly onto lamb chops. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in large, deep ovenproof skillet, Dutch oven or stockpot. Brown chops, in batches if necessary, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove and reserve.
- Add onion and garlic to pan with additional olive oil if needed, and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan; add tomatoes and return lamb chops to the pan. Bring to simmer, cover and place in center of preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Add chickpeas and apricots and continue to cook until lamb chops are very tender, 15 to 30 minutes. Season lamb chops with salt and pepper and serve with Chickpea-Tomato Tagine; sprinkle with cilantro.
Source: American Lamb Board