Lamb Meatballs with Mediterranean Dips
- 2 or 3 slices bread, torn up
- 1 pound ground American Lamb
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sesame seeds
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans
- 1 to 2 large garlic cloves, quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Minced parsley (optional)
- Red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Fresh dill sprigs
- To prepare meatballs, pulse enough bread in blender to get 1 cup lightly packed-down crumbs.
- Combine lamb, egg, bread crumbs, and thyme until well blended. Form 24 (about 1”) meatballs. Place meatballs in an oiled shallow baking pan. Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes or until done.
- For Hummus Dip drain beans, saving 1/4 cup liquid. Combine beans in electric blender with garlic, lemon juice, oil, and reserved bean liquid. Process until puréed. If desired, sprinkle top with minced parsley and red chile flakes.
- For Yogurt Dip mix yogurt, dill weed and lemon peel. Garnish top with fresh dill.
- Sprinkle meatballs with sesame seeds; stick pick in each and serve with dips.
Source: American Lamb Board