Lamb Kofta Gyros
Prep Time:20 mins.
Cook Time:10 mins.
12 ounces ground American lamb
1 small red onion
2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 seedless cucumber, quartered lengthwise and chopped into triangles
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or other mild chile powder
8 wood skewers, soaked at least 30 minutes in water
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
4 pitas, warmed on the grill
- Finely grate half the red onion, and drain off the excess liquid in a strainer. Thinly slice the other half and soak it in ice-cold water for 10 to 20 minutes, then drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced onions, tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, vinegar, olive oil, and 1/2 teaspooon salt. Stir in the mint leaves just before serving.
- In another bowl, combine the grated onion, lamb, parsley, bread crumbs, garlic, Aleppo pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Divide the meat into 8 portions and form each portion into an oval meatball around the top third of a wood skewer.
- Prepare a hot fire in a gas or charcoal grill, or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Oil the grill grates and arrange the skewers over the hottest parts. Grill until nicely charred on all sides, turning occasionally, about 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the yogurt in the center of each pita and top with 2 of the kofta (skewers removed) and a big spoonful of salad. Fold the pita around the fillings and serve.
Photo & Recipe: American Lamb Board