Lamb Kofta Gyros
- 12 ounces ground American lamb
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, quartered lengthwise and chopped into triangles
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or other mild chile powder
- 8 wood skewers, soaked at least 30 minutes in water
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 pitas, warmed on the grill
- Finely grate half the red onion, and drain off the excess liquid in a strainer. Thinly slice the other half and soak it in ice-cold water for 10 to 20 minutes, then drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced onions, tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, vinegar, olive oil, and 1/2 teaspooon salt. Stir in the mint leaves just before serving.
- In another bowl, combine the grated onion, lamb, parsley, bread crumbs, garlic, Aleppo pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Divide the meat into 8 portions and form each portion into an oval meatball around the top third of a wood skewer.
- Prepare a hot fire in a gas or charcoal grill, or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Oil the grill grates and arrange the skewers over the hottest parts. Grill until nicely charred on all sides, turning occasionally, about 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the yogurt in the center of each pita and top with 2 of the kofta (skewers removed) and a big spoonful of salad. Fold the pita around the fillings and serve.
Source: American Lamb Board