Lamb, Lime & Mango Salad
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 cilantro stems (reserve leaves)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 12 ounces American Lamb steak or shoulder chops, trimmed of fat
- 1 head Frisee lettuce, leaves washed and dried
- 1 small, firm, ripe mango, peeled, cut from pit and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 4 large green onions, including light green parts, sliced
- 1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh red Thai or jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- In a food processor, combine the garlic, cilantro stems, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons oil. Spread the paste on both sides of the lamb; marinate for 30 minutes.
- Warm remaining oil in a large, heavy skillet, cooking the steak or chops on each side 5 to 6 minutes for medium-rare. Remove from pan and let cool.
- For the salad, cut the lamb into strips. Divide the lettuce leaves among 4 plates and arrange the mango, avocado, greens, and strips of lamb on top.
- To make dressing in a small bowl combine lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, Thai or jalapeño peppers, and brown sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Toss salad with dressing and serve.
Source: American Lamb Board and Chef Allen Susser, Chef Allen’s, Aventura, Florida