Grilled Moroccan Veal Keftas
- 2 pounds ground veal
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1 cup minced white onions
- 1/2 whole white onion
- 4 tablespoons fresh minced mint 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon caraway
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon minced star anise
- 12 stainless steel skewers
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients (except the half an onion) and thoroughly mix.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Spray a cookie sheet with a little olive oil or cover with a paper towel.
- Slowly mold the keftas on 2 skewers at a time in the form of a long sausage that is the length of the skewer (the reason for 2 skewers at a time is to provide more structure and they don’t spin).
- Place the sheet with the skewers into the refrigerator for about an hour, covered.
- Prep your grill to a temperature of 450°F and once temperature is reached use half the onion to coat the grates several times (this provides a natural non-stick coating as well as additional flavor).
- Place skewers on the grates for 2 to 3 minutes each side, and use a large spatula to flip (do not try to use the skewers as the meat may fall off).
- Cook to a minimum internal temperature of 160°F as measured with a food thermometer before removing meat from the heat.
Source: Feygin Foodie and veal.org