Dijon Veal Burgers
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 loaf (12 to 15 ounces) focaccia bread
- 1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Maille country-style Dijon-style mustard, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in quarters
- Cut bread into 4 quarters; cut each quarter horizontally in half. Remove some bread from center of cut sides, creating a pocket. Place in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs. Reserve 1/4 cup crumbs for burgers.
- Combine ground veal, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, basil, egg, 1 tablespoon mustard, and black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2” thick patties.
- Place patties in center of oiled grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange peppers around veal. Grill veal, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes, until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Grill peppers, covered, 7 to 11 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Meanwhile, spread remaining 1 tablespoon mustard on cut sides of bottom half of bread. During last 1 to 2 minutes of grilling, place bread, cut sides down, on grid. Grill until bread is lightly toasted.
- Cut pepper quarters in half lengthwise; place on bread bottoms. Top with burgers. Close sandwiches.