“Cooked Two Ways” Barbecued American Lamb Ribs
3 1/2 hrs.
5 pounds American lamb ribs, trimmed
2 sweet onions, diced large
10 garlic cloves, peeled
2 stalks celery, peeled, diced large
2 carrots, large round cuts
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1 cup dried shitake mushrooms
2 bay leaves
3 cinnamon sticks
3 sprigs rosemary
Chicken broth as needed
3 cups red chili barbecue sauce
- In a stockpot, add lamb ribs, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, fennel, mushrooms, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and rosemary. Add broth to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a slow simmer.
- Cover with lid halfway; simmer for 1 hour, occasionally skimming off the top.
- Remove ribs; cool.
- With a sharp knife, trim ribs of fat without letting ribs fall apart.
- Place ribs in a roasting pan; brush with barbecue sauce.
- Bake at 260°F for 2 hours, occasionally brushing with sauce. Bake at 375°F for 12 to 15 minutes to finish.
Source: American Lamb Board