Classic Veal Parmesan Sandwich
6 veal cutlets, 3 oz. each
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
½ cup (or as needed) all-purpose flour
1 egg (equal parts beaten egg and milk)
1 cup (or as needed) bread crumbs
1 cup (or as needed) vegetable oil
12 tablespoons tomato sauce
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
6 slices Provolone cheese
6 slices Mozzarella cheese
6 sub rolls
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pound each portion of veal between sheets of parchment or wax paper to a thickness of ¼-inch.
- Blot the veal dry. Season each piece with salt and pepper. Dredge the veal in flour, and shake off any excess. Dip in egg wash and dredge in bread crumbs.
- Heat about ⅛-inch of oil in a large skillet to about 350°F over medium heat. Working in batches, add the breaded veal to the hot oil and pan fry on the first side until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Turn once and finish pan frying on the second side until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F, about 1 or 2 minutes more. Drain on paper towels or on a wire rack set over a baking sheet.
- Add two tablespoons of the tomato sauce to each piece of veal and sprinkle ½ tablespoon of Parmesan cheese on top of the tomato sauce. Add one slice of Provolone and Mozzarella cheese to each piece of veal.
- Place the veal Parmesan in preheated oven for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt and the veal is hot.
- Add the veal to the rolls and serve.
Source: Funded by the Beef Checkoff