Barbecued Veal Short Ribs
Prep Time:30 mins.
Cook Time:4 hrs.
• 10 pounds veal short ribs
• 1 diced sweet yellow onion
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 12 ounces beer
• 1/2 cup guava nectar
• 1/2 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke
• 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
• 1 whole canned chipotle pepper, with 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from can
• 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 1/3 cup guava jelly, or 1/4 cup guava paste
• Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 300°.
2. Generously salt and pepper ribs. Lay ribs in a single layer, in roasting pan. Cook for 3 hours, turning once midway through cooking time. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Pour off any fat from bottom of pan. When meat is cool enough to handle, cut into individual ribs.
3. While ribs are cooking, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in large stockpot, until soft. Add remaining ingredients, except molasses and guava paste/jelly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, reducing liquid by half, approximately 1 hour. Sauce should be thick, but still loose enough to pour.
4. Add molasses and guava to sauce and continue reducing for 10 to 15 minutes until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If sauce becomes too thick, thin with extra guava nectar and/or beer. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Coat ribs generously with sauce. Continue cooking ribs for 1 hour more, or until rib meat is tender and easily pulled from bone. Sauce will thicken and darken on ribs, so turn darker ribs over. Before serving, brush ribs with additional sauce. Serve extra sauce on the side.
Photo & Recipe: Catelli Brothers